SQL is a standard database language. With SQL, one can manage or tweak databases or things inside a database which understand SQL.
Imagine you are on an island where nobody speaks English, they spean funsoma language. There is no language with this name but I am just stating it. In such a scenario, you can not even talk to anyone.
Just like that to talk to databases like Oracle, MySQL, SQL Server, Postgres etc, you got to know SQL.
SQL became a standard of the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) in 1986, and of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) in 1987.
That sounds fancy!! Now let us see what SQL can do?
SQL can perform
- SQL can perform CRUD on data in the database. (CRUD stands for Create, Read, Update, Delete)
- SQL can create, modify, delete database objects like database, tables, views, procedures, functions etc.
- SQL can put restriction to who access which data or objects in the database.
SQL Standard With Extra DB features
Most of the database providers add extra features along with the SQL standard features. They do so to handle logically structured data in an efficient way.
How SQL can be useful in real life
- WordPress which is a widely used CMS used MySQL.
- Most of the enterprises use Oracle to process and compute from the structured data faster.
Note: You can also go through Oracle Tutorial for beginners course. Most of the topics covered here will also be explained with syntax and examples in there.
What is RDBMS?
RDBMS (Relational Database Management System) is the concept behind all SQL based databases like Oracle, Postgres etc.
The data is kept in form of tables. So the table is the primary entity or objects you can say. Each table has some rows and columns. The data in the table are related to one another.
|SQL Table has rows and columns having related data – SQL Tutorial|
You can see, we have street_address column which is, of course, related to the city column and likewise.